Friday, August 14, 2009

Gum Surgery

Gum surgery - this is something I've never heard of before until I actually had to see a doctor and undergo the procedure. It seems that plaque can really lodge itself in the part of the teeth that's hidden under the gums, and even your neighborhood dentist can't take it out. You'd need to see a periodontist to perform deep scaling on your teeth, sometimes necessitating some incisions to reach deep seated plaque.

So this morning, I went to a periodontist, not really knowing what to expect as I didn't even bother to research about it. She started by injecting anesthesia on my gums. Thank God my gums went numb after a few seconds. She made some incisions, and I could just feel the scrubbing motions that she was making with various instruments but it almost felt like I had no gums at all. Then I saw her stitch my gums back in place. No pain whatsoever. As I write this, the anesthesia is wearing off. There's just a slight discomfort but I'm up and about.

The bad news is that it seems mouth bacteria can repopulate after a few months, so this means I have to religiously clean my teeth, and get professional cleaning very often. Lesson learned. This is what I get for not having professional cleaning done for a year.

No comments: