Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sweets

Why do I have a need to eat sweets? That's gotten me into lots of trouble in the past - periodontitis gets worse when people eat sugar because mouth bacteria thrive on sugar, my weight gain starts whenever I eat sweets, and I had to change my wardrobe whenever I gained or lost substantial weight. In short, there is a very real cost to allowing myself to succumb to the need to eat sweets.

Using the Landmark Forum distinction of rackets in observing this craving, the complaint is "I've been trying to stay away from sweets for a long time, but I just can't seem to get rid of it permanently". The way of being is one of being resigned to the fact that I seem to have a sweet tooth and there's nothing I can do about it. The costs are health, peace of mind, and money. Now what's the pay-off?

As soon as I asked that question, the answer popped into my mind - I get to to avoid responsibility for my own health AND I can always blame my love for sweets for my inability to lose a substantial amount of weight. I see a host of other pay-offs that I prefer not to write about but they have something to do with being right about a point of view.

Next step: Recall that I am my word, and I say that who I am is the possibility of health and fitness. Can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments: